Stepping Out

Six weeks ago I gave my resignation at work. After nearly 10 years, tomorrow will be my last day at NET Televison and Radio. And Friday will be my first official day as a freelance writer.

“It’s like you’re at the end of a long, dark hallway,” my officemate Pam said to me one morning. We sat at our desks, the sun slanting through the blinds as I hemmed and hawed aloud about the pros and cons of a career change. “You just have to take the first step,” she said.

“Yeah, but I’d like to see a couple of doors down that hallway first,” I replied, laughing. “They don’t even have to be wide open, a sliver of light would be fine. I just want to know the doors are there first.”

...Will you hop over to read the rest of my story over at the Lincoln Journal Star? I'll see you over there...

Click here to get Graceful in your email in-box.
Click here to "like" my Facebook Writer page. Thank you!

Amy @ themessymiddle  – (May 2, 2012 at 7:50 AM)

If you hand me a latte out of a drive in window, I'll say, "at least you took that step!" and who knows, it might be because you are writing a piece on working all day on your feet. It could be any number of reasons! Michelle, I've only "known" you a short while on-line, but I admire you greately!

Sheila Seiler Lagrand  – (May 2, 2012 at 9:17 AM)

So....are you finally going to explain to your Frankenstein "friend"/commenter the difference between an atheist and an ANTItheist?

Blessings to you as you head down that hallway. I think I see a few cracks of light :)

Jamie @ Six Bricks High  – (May 2, 2012 at 9:17 AM)

You are going to rock the writing world!  I just know it :)  I'm cheering you on (and praying for you too, cause I know it has got to be kind of scary)!

Megan Willome  – (May 2, 2012 at 9:36 AM)

I promise not to ask! I also feel sure you're doing the right thing.

For encouragement, talk to Dena Dyer. She has been on one heck of a wild ride the last five years. She still doesn't know what it all means, but she continues to step out and see what the Lord will do.

pastordt –   – (May 2, 2012 at 10:35 AM)

YOU GO, GIRL. Deep breath, one foot after the other. A tiny bit of trust - and it will grow as you continue to walk down that hall. The doors will open just as they should. And NO latte delivery for you. Nope, not happenin'.

Missy  – (May 2, 2012 at 11:12 AM)

Congrats on making that step forward!

Harriett –   – (May 2, 2012 at 11:46 AM)

Aww. I know you have faith that the doors will open -- that's what it's all about. I wish the best for you, my friend, and I know that HE has great things planned.

Embrace them.
Enjoy what's ahead.

and, when the doors look closed, just bang your fist against them -- eventually, something will open.

:-)

mamaabby –   – (May 2, 2012 at 2:21 PM)

Couldn't read the whole thing...but excited to hear this!  You know what a fan I am of adventures and unknowns...so much more fun that way;} then you need God & get to see Him do amazing things as He leads you just that next step!!!  Hugs!!

Gaby  – (May 2, 2012 at 2:55 PM)

Michelle, your story made me think about that Indiana Jones movie. You know? The Holy Grail one, I think. There is that scene where Indiana has to take the first step into a precipice to discover there is a bridge he could not see before. Anyway, that's what this moment is like. Take that first step to discover God's provision. I can't wait to hear how He will show up!

OutnumberedMom –   – (May 2, 2012 at 3:14 PM)

I think this is ever so exciting, Michelle. If you look closely at my picture, you'll see I'm turning a bit green...!

Deidra  – (May 2, 2012 at 7:42 PM)

Last weekend, I read Mike Ross's book "Unstuck." At the beginning of chapter two, he quotes Max Lucado: "If there are a thousand steps between us and Him, He will take all but one. But He will leave the final one for us...." Can't tell you how much that resonated with me - knowing all that lies ahead. Make that, NOT knowing what lies ahead. Cheering you on as you take that next step. Remember Priscilla Shirer and the God gap? :)

Jen Ferguson –   – (May 3, 2012 at 9:16 AM)

This is exciting.  I mean really exciting.  I think I'm going to have to email you...after I read the whole article.

Lori  – (May 3, 2012 at 3:35 PM)

Oh...from where I sit it sounds marvelous. Just enjoy, and know that it is right, or should I say "write"? You have a gift to share and He will be faithful to keep opening those doors. I can't wait to see where He carries you....Lori

Michelle DeRusha  – (May 3, 2012 at 8:49 PM)

I've seen Dena around the blogosphere a lot - thanks for the recommendation, Megan.

Michelle DeRusha  – (May 3, 2012 at 8:50 PM)

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Lori!

Michelle DeRusha  – (May 3, 2012 at 8:50 PM)

Thanks for the email, Jen - I just love your encouraging heart.

Michelle DeRusha  – (May 3, 2012 at 8:51 PM)

I remember reading that quote by Max Lucado in "Unstuck," too - and I thought the exact same thing. And yeah, I totally remember Priscilla Shirer's talk at Deeper Still about the God gap, I do, I do!

Michelle DeRusha  – (May 3, 2012 at 8:52 PM)

As I said on facebook, you won't be quite as green when you find out I'm making lattes at Starbucks in a year! ;)

Michelle DeRusha  – (May 3, 2012 at 8:53 PM)

Oh yes, that too - I totally remember that scene in Indiana Jones! Thank you for reminding me of that, Gaby!

Michelle DeRusha  – (May 3, 2012 at 8:54 PM)

Oh yeah lady, I know you know about taking big steps!!

Michelle DeRusha  – (May 3, 2012 at 8:54 PM)

Yup, that's kind of how Rowan used to approach a closed door when he was a toddler...and it worked for him! Good advice, H!

Michelle DeRusha  – (May 3, 2012 at 8:55 PM)

That's right...a tiny bit of trust...growing. Love you, Diana.

Michelle DeRusha  – (May 3, 2012 at 8:55 PM)

Love the prayers, Jamie - keep 'em coming. Thank you, lovely friend!

Michelle DeRusha  – (May 3, 2012 at 8:57 PM)

I don't engage in any conversation with Frankenstein - it's my non-confrontational (read: chicken) policy! But hey...he's still reading...I take that as a good sign!

Michelle DeRusha  – (May 3, 2012 at 8:58 PM)

You know what? You make such a good point, Amy - at least I won't have any regrets about not taking any risks!