Hear It on Sunday, Use It on Monday: The Vine

As Pastor Sara lifts the bread high, the boy in the plaid shorts with the crown of whorled blond hair climbs onto the padded pew. Grabbing his dad’s shirt with one hand, he raises the other hand toward the ceiling, fingers splayed like a small, creamy starfish.
The dad knows what’s next – clearly this is a weekly routine. He lifts the boy until his flip-flops rest on the back of the pew in front of him. Clenching a fist-full of polo shirt, the boy straightens tall and steady, feet firmly planted on the back of the pew, his father’s arm encircling his waist like a lasso.  And then the boy watches, steady and solemn, as Pastor Sara lifts the cup of wine toward the sky.

The little boy with the blond hair knows instinctively what I so often forget. He reaches, he climbs, he clings. He rests steady, comfortable and secure in his father’s arms.
He knows and accepts what I can never seem to remember: that apart from his father, he can do nothing.

“Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. “  (John 15:4)

Welcome to the "Hear It on Sunday, Use It on Monday" community, a place where we share what we are hearing from God and his Word.

If you're here for the first time, click
here for more information. Please include the Hear It, Use It button (grab the code over in the sidebar) or a link in your post, so your readers know where to find the community if they want to join in -- thank you!

Please also try to visit and leave some friendly encouragement in the comment box of at least one other Hear It, Use It participant. And if you want to tweet about the community, please use the #HearItUseIt hashtag.

Thank you -- I am so grateful to have you here!

Hazel Moon –   – (May 7, 2012 at 12:54 AM)

Jesus said "Abide in Me, in order to bear fruit because with out me you can do nothing."   Paraphrased a bit.  That was the main verse today at our church also.  The small boy was something I would have loved to watch.  What an illustration!!

Robert Moon –   – (May 7, 2012 at 1:34 AM)

Growing up, I did not experience the love of an earthly father but I did have loving Uncles to look up to.  We did not have time for play as even as a young child I needed to work.  Now I know my heavenly Father and safely place my trust fully in HIM.

pastordt –   – (May 7, 2012 at 2:30 AM)

Michelle. This is so perfect it literally takes my breath away. Thank you so much.

Our pastor took us in the direction of pruning this morning - not so comfortable for me as abiding. And it took a WHOLE LOT more words for me to go there than you've so tenderly and exquisitely put here.

JosephPote –   – (May 7, 2012 at 6:17 AM)

" apart from his father, he can do nothing"

So true, yet so easily forgotten!

Thank you for such a beautiful illustration of our complete dependence on Christ...and of His caring love for us.

Lisa notes  – (May 7, 2012 at 7:08 AM)

Simple but profound: "apart from
his father, he can do nothing." This is a take-away we'll all be carrying with us today. Thanks, Michelle.

Michelle DeRusha  – (May 7, 2012 at 8:24 AM)

I admit, this post started out a whole lot more rambly than it ended up! Thank you for your kindness, Diana...

Connie@raise your eyes  – (May 7, 2012 at 8:42 AM)

Oh Michelle, thank you for vividly showing us the parable of this child.

Kim  – (May 7, 2012 at 8:45 AM)

I love how you help me see, Michelle. Coming to Lincoln Memorial Day weekend. Will you be home?

Sheila Dailie –   – (May 7, 2012 at 8:46 AM)

Beautiful! And it took my mind back to my childhood when we children were crammed into adult body behavior. Look at the imagery those adults missed! (And we might have too, without your artist's eye!)

Dawn Gonzalez –   – (May 7, 2012 at 9:00 AM)

Simple and beautiful, Michelle.

dukeslee  – (May 7, 2012 at 9:22 AM)

This is just. right. Thank you for the gift of this.

Patricia W Hunter –   – (May 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM)

Love this, Michelle....I think this is why I'm intrigued and enamored with clinging vines. They're yet another camera magnet because that's how I want to live - my life tangled up and clinging to Jesus.

Jen  – (May 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM)

What a beautiful display of words.  Just love this word picture Michelle! Blessings ~ jen

Jen Ferguson –   – (May 7, 2012 at 12:05 PM)

I love how God uses His Word -- my post for here wasn't specifically from the reading at church and then, it was.  The vine I studied on Friday came forth through the Word on Sunday.  It's like He must know or something! :)

Laurie Collett  – (May 7, 2012 at 1:28 PM)

Amen! Without Him we can do nothing, but with Him all things are possible!
God bless,
Laurie Collett
Saved by Grace

Michelle DeRusha  – (May 7, 2012 at 9:00 PM)

Blessings to you, too, Laurie -- xxoo!

Michelle DeRusha  – (May 7, 2012 at 9:01 PM)

I thought of the Vine when I saw your picture today, too. Beautiful, Jen.

Michelle DeRusha  – (May 7, 2012 at 9:02 PM)

My camera (and technique) doesn't do the vines justice - they are so beautiful, glistening with the raindrops. And yes, clinging..the perfect word.

Michelle DeRusha  – (May 7, 2012 at 9:03 PM)

And maybe my mind was wandering just a bit in church, as I watched that little boy?! :)

Michelle DeRusha  – (May 7, 2012 at 9:04 PM)

Oh, wonderful!!!! I am so excited to see you, Kim -- we will be around that weekend, and the calendar is miraculously empty!

Michelle DeRusha  – (May 7, 2012 at 9:05 PM)

So writer's block can produce something after all? Boy I struggled with this one, and ended up chopping it down to almost nothing.  Thanks for your encouragement - I hit publish on this and cringed!

Michelle DeRusha  – (May 7, 2012 at 9:05 PM)

Thank you, Dawn. Missing you...

Michelle DeRusha  – (May 7, 2012 at 9:06 PM)

And thank YOU for the shout-out on Facebook today, lovely friend.

Michelle DeRusha  – (May 7, 2012 at 9:06 PM)

Thank you, Lisa. I always smile when i see your beautiful face here.

Michelle DeRusha  – (May 7, 2012 at 9:07 PM)

And thank YOU, Joe, for your ever-encouraging comments -- you really are a joyful light!

Michelle DeRusha  – (May 7, 2012 at 9:08 PM)

Oh Robert, my heart goes out to you, my friend. It sounds like a difficult childhoodl. I am glad you had those kind uncles growing up...and even more thankful you have a Father always.

Michelle DeRusha  – (May 7, 2012 at 9:08 PM)

He was indeed so sweet -- so attentive and intrigued by the bread and wine. And his dad, patient and loving.

Jean Wise  – (May 8, 2012 at 11:22 AM)

My pastor said Sunday that he has read that the point where the vine connect to the branch is the strongest point.  That lingered with me and does this image of the vine and the branches.  Now your story added another great image. Thanks Michelle

Glenda Childers –   – (May 8, 2012 at 9:18 PM)

Love these strong verbs.

Chris Carter –   – (May 9, 2012 at 1:12 AM)

Hi Michelle, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog
is.  Thanks so much for sharing.  I have recently found your blog and am now
following you, and will visit often.  Please stop by my blog and perhaps you
would like to follow me also.  Have a wonderful day.  Hugs,
Chris

jennifer –   – (May 9, 2012 at 6:08 AM)

What a great illustration, Michelle. I love that little boy!