Wanting What the Maestro Has

“So, how long does a symphony concert typically last?” I ask my colleague. We stand in the lobby of the Lied, media sponsor banner beside us, logoed pens and brochures fanned out on the table cloth.

"Well, let's see...the first part is about an hour. Then there's intermission, and after that probably another hour," she says.

I stifle a yawn.

I am not a music person. Rock, pop and blues don't appeal to me (until just recently  I thought Adele was pronounced, "A Deal"), classical makes me sleepy and jazz, well, I don't even know what to say about jazz.

I can't tell you the difference between adagio and allegro (I had to Google "glossary of classical music terms" just to come up with those two). And if I had to name a favorite piece of classical music, I'd say Vivaldi's Four Seasons, but only because I remember it from the '80s movie by the same name.

Truth be told, the only reason I'm at the symphony is because I am working.

...Hop over to the Lincoln Journal Star to read how I changed my tune... {yeah, that's pun intended!}
And linking with lovely Laura, too...

Click here to get Graceful in your email in-box. Click here to "like" my Facebook Writer page. Thank you!

Sheila Seiler Lagrand  – (April 4, 2012 at 6:03 AM)

Am I allowed to comment here, Michelle?
I'm thrilled you enjoyed the symphony.  A passionate conductor is a joy to behold, hmm? Blessings to you this Easter.

Michelle DeRusha  – (April 4, 2012 at 7:23 AM)

I love that you comment here, Sheila! And yes, I tell you, I have a new love for classical music. I have even vowed to take the boys to a symphony concert -- I think they would be amazed!

Happy Easter to you, too, lovely friend.

David Rupert –   – (April 4, 2012 at 7:30 AM)

I would love for you to take your sweet kids to the symphony and write about that!

JosephPote –   – (April 4, 2012 at 10:01 AM)

To passionately pursue the gifts God has given us...sounds like abundant life to me!

Jean Wise  – (April 4, 2012 at 12:15 PM)

I just love how you write, Michelle.  Have you ever watched the conductor, Keith Lockhart of the Boston Pops on the 4th of july?  He really gets into his directing too.  Great lesson and you certainly bring joy to my heart when I read your posts along with great lessons.

Laura Boggess  – (April 4, 2012 at 4:35 PM)

We have a maestro like that . Passion is contagious, isn't it? And what a great photo you were able to get! Makes me want to go to the symphony...U

Shelly Miller  – (April 4, 2012 at 7:15 PM)

I actually teared up when the firemen came to my kids school for a presentation on what they do. Anyone in the mode of using their gifts makes me misty. It is a holy experience actually. And you not liking music, that is a rare bit of trivia we may not have known about you outside of this story.

Todd R. Tystad  – (April 4, 2012 at 7:44 PM)

Michelle, I read this in the Journal Star and didn't put two and two together to realize that  you were the writer. Loved it! I cemented my connection with the piece when you mentioned jazz. :)

Looking forward to reading more.

Cheers,
Todd R. Tystad

Michelle DeRusha  – (April 4, 2012 at 8:07 PM)

I've never seen Keith Lockhart. I tell you, I am not a music person...but I am hooked on the Lincoln Symphony because of this conductor. His passion was contagious!

Michelle DeRusha  – (April 4, 2012 at 8:08 PM)

I love that you teared up over the firemen, Shelly! But I know what you mean - people with a real zest for life and a love for their jobs are such an inspiration.

Michelle DeRusha  – (April 4, 2012 at 8:09 PM)

Thanks for stopping by, Mr. Tystad. Noah was just reading these comments over my shoulder and he said, "Hey! Is that MY Mr. Tystad?!" He was quite excited to see you on the blog!

Michelle DeRusha  – (April 4, 2012 at 8:09 PM)

I'm looking forward to taking the boys...although I'm afraid they may get the giggles.

Michelle DeRusha  – (April 4, 2012 at 8:09 PM)

Abundant life - you got that right!

Nancy Franson  – (April 5, 2012 at 8:16 AM)

There is something magnificent about watching someone do what God put them on this earth to do and seeing that expressed with every fiber of their being.

And you're right. We're all put here to do something. Maybe I should wave my arms while I type? Or maybe just put on some really good music that will remind me of this piece.

Lheyd59  – (April 5, 2012 at 11:38 AM)

Again, Michelle, I so appreciate your writing. SO honest and so real. We can't all be music people but that's the beauty of our own unique gifts...bestowed to us our Creator. I drag my friend to the symphony about once a year. Her favorite part is the cacophony in the beginning when all the instruments tune up! Lori

Michelle DeRusha  – (April 5, 2012 at 9:32 PM)

Waving my arms as I type along with you, Nancy! :)

Michelle DeRusha  – (April 5, 2012 at 9:33 PM)

The cacophony of tuning made me smile, too - what a miracle that such beauty can come from such chaos. Thanks for stopping by, Lori...

Sheila Seiler Lagrand  – (April 5, 2012 at 9:45 PM)

I'd like to wave, too!

Maybe on Monday. It's starting to grow solemn around here, now ...