Unraveling Yarn {day twenty-five}

My bedroom is conveniently located two steps from the bathroom, which allows me the luxury of snatching a few minutes of rest in the evening while Rowan sloshes in the tub. I flop onto the bed, pull up Nana’s crocheted afghan, close my eyes and listen to my son humming as he soaps. I could be tidying the boys’ rooms or stuffing clean laundry into drawers, and some nights I do exactly that. But most nights I try to sneak in a bit of quiet.
The blanket is unraveling. One long piece of light blue yarn trails off the edge of the bed. "Daddy needs to fix that," Rowan reminds me often when we read Harry Potter beneath the afghan (and now you know the truth about who wields the needle and thread in our house).

The afghan used to have a tag in one corner, hand-stitched, that read, “Made especially for Michelle by Nana,” but it’s long-since torn off and lost. Still, all the elements of comfort remain – the scratchy yarn under my chin, the gaudy rainbow blocks, the memory of Nana, a love that never unravels.
As the water pours into the tub and the ceiling fan rattles away the humidity and a little boy hums, I lie on my bed across the hall, Nana’s afghan stretched the length of me. And I rest.
Photobucket

Harriett –   – (February 25, 2012 at 6:46 AM)

The memories associated with hand made things that are gifted to us -- priceless -- I have one as well.

My Aunt Ava was a knitter, and she made me an afghan with those same squares -- the difference -- the background yarn is black -- it's so psychedelic -- she made it in the 1970s --  without her meaning  it to be so. That afghan is at our mountain house on a chair and in my humble, but accurate, opinion gives that chair all kinds of charm and whimsy.

She also knitted and gave me a beige one, as opposite in impact to the psychedelic one [I'm gonna take a picture of the black one and send it to you] as it could be.

I have taken many a nap under one or the other -- and there is a gentleness and love that comes from those afghans that I get from no other blanket.  Hubby pulls up the beige one as he sits in his big chair -- Aunt Ava grins from heaven when she sees that... and I do think of her when I look at it or use it. :)

and if it had a loose thread -- it would have to be out-sourced. LOL

Thanks for the memory.

Been thinking about you and your family -- may the consoling of the Lord's afghan continue to comfort you.

SouthernGalThoughts –   – (February 25, 2012 at 7:41 AM)

Michelle, so glad you can squeeze in a few minutes of rest in the evenings.  My problem is that I fall asleep at the drop of  a hat if I sit still in the evenings!  And you brought back so many memories speaking of grandmamas and afghans.  When my grandmother died we found in a cabinet over her washing machine 14 finished crocheted granny squares with her needles still in the yarn.  We talked about giving the squares to  each girl in the family.  There were exactly 14 at the time.  We just put them away and they are still there.

Michelle DeRusha  – (February 25, 2012 at 8:48 AM)

My grandmother made a black one, too -- I had forgotten all about it until you mentioned yours here. I don't know what happened to it - perhaps got donated to the Goodwill? But oh! Thank you for the memory of that crazy black afghan with all the rainbow colors - psychedelic indeed!!

And thank you for the comforting thoughts, H. It means a lot to know you are thinking of us.

Michelle DeRusha  – (February 25, 2012 at 8:49 AM)

I admit to drifting off at the drop of a hat the minute I sit down in the evenings, too! Rowan usually summons me to the tub, so I only get a few minutes -- but sometimes that five or ten minutes of rest fuels me through the rest of the evening.

You need to distribute those 14 squares -- I think they would make a great keepsake!

Janet  – (February 25, 2012 at 9:00 AM)

Precious moments and memories all rolled into one!  I have a couple of quilts my grandmother made and I love them!

Debbie Grace –   – (February 25, 2012 at 9:20 AM)

Lovely post!  Thank you for sharing your warm memories and for reminding me of some of my own.

Deidra  – (February 25, 2012 at 9:22 AM)

You are making such good memories.

(This series has blessed me big-time. I'm so glad you did it!)

kendal  – (February 25, 2012 at 10:51 AM)

glad you are resting. and the afghan? oh how precious.

Linda Chontos –   – (February 25, 2012 at 11:00 AM)

Your words paint such a beautiful picture of comfort and rest Michelle. I am praying that you find comfort and peace these days.

Glenda Childers –   – (February 25, 2012 at 4:58 PM)

Good way to spend some quiet moments.

Fondly,
Glenda

Emily Wierenga –   – (February 25, 2012 at 10:29 PM)

so beautiful. and i love your socks. :)

Jan Macy –   – (February 26, 2012 at 8:50 PM)

Granny Squares!  Oh how I love them.

I come from a long line of crocheters (sp), knitters, and quilters.  Somehow that gene bypassed me.

There is something comforting about resting under the love  made just for you.

Under the quilt that my mom made just for me.  Under the afghan my sister crochet just for me.  Under the hats  & scarfs that my nieces made just for me.  Under there love.  I hadn't thought of that before.

Reminds me of being under the protection and love of His Wings.

Thanks for this post.  So many memories for me.