Christmas Lights in February {day eight}

It’s February, and my neighbors still have their Christmas lights lit.
Ordinarily this would irritate me. I have boundaries, you know -- rules that determine when holiday decorations go up and when they ought to come down. The tree and lights and garland come down by New Year’s Day. The scarlet heart that dangles from a suction cup on the front window pane is hung by February 1.
But this year is different.
This year, as I sit under the fleece blanket on my red velvet couch, the glow of the laptop screen bright on my face, I gaze out the window at the neighbor’s Christmas lights in February. Upstairs the boys sleep, and the hallway floor crackles its 10 p.m. creak right on time. The kitchen wall clock ticks. The owl calls from the white pine.

I watch the neighbor’s lights flicker from behind the blowing boughs. And I am comforted.
Anything unusual bringing you comfort and peace these days?

Photobucket

{After I wrote this post but before it went live, my neighbors turned off their Christmas lights. I am disappointed!}
If you want to catch up on the 29 Days of Quiet series, please click here.
If you haven't done so already, would you kindly consider "liking" my Writer Facebook page by clicking here? Thank you! You can also  receive "Graceful" free in your email in-box or via the reader of your choice, by clicking here.

Southern Gal  – (February 8, 2012 at 4:24 AM)

We have plenty of people near us who haven't gotten around to taking down the Christmas lights, but none that still turn them on.  I love the glow of the lights and can see how they would be a comfort to you.

Right now my comfort and peace come from knowing He is peace in the midst of my busy-ness.

Mary Bonner  – (February 8, 2012 at 6:53 AM)

Your posts are comforting to me.  I can't explain it, but as I read each post of your 29 days to quiet I seriously feel a peace.  You have a gift for using words in a unique way...thank you for sharing your gift.

David Rupert  – (February 8, 2012 at 6:57 AM)

I have neighbors who have lights around their craftsman home just like that one...and they never go out. Christmas all year round!  Kind of irritating, but as you observed, kind of a good thought

Michelle DeRusha  – (February 8, 2012 at 8:05 AM)

I am so, so glad, Mary. I feel peaceful writing them, too, so I'm glad that feeling is being conveyed to you!

Michelle DeRusha  – (February 8, 2012 at 8:06 AM)

Of course, one day after I wrote this, they turned them off. But still, they kept them on for a good long time after Christmas, and for some reason, they brought me a bit of joy and comfort in the lonely evenings around here.

Michelle DeRusha  – (February 8, 2012 at 8:07 AM)

Yes, He is peace, even in the midst of busyness - I need to remind myself of that like 100 times a day, Renee!

Sara  – (February 8, 2012 at 9:56 AM)

I'm a big fan of all-winter Christmas lights.  The glow just brightens the darkness and makes it seem warmer.  I, actually, still have our Christmas wreath on the front door.  I think it drives my husband crazy! :-)  It's mostly there out of my own personal laziness.  I'm thinking of hanging a heart on it. :-)

Sara  – (February 8, 2012 at 10:14 AM)

P.S. I "pinned" you to my God-Centered Living board because I think you're fabulous!! :-)

Jean Wise  – (February 8, 2012 at 10:16 AM)

Not taking down their lights would really bug me.  I admire you - letting go of that pet peeve and embracing it - wow.  I actually had amoment last night doing dishes. Got them all done and about an hour later more were in the sink. At first I was anger, then I sighed a prayer of thankfulness that we had food in the house and a dinner together with family - a reason for the dirty dishes.

joan taylor –   – (February 8, 2012 at 10:31 AM)

Yes.  Taking time each day when I drive to cloud gaze and talk to God.  I have felt so much peace and joy in the process. And it all began here with you on your 29 Days of Quiet series.

Megan Willome  – (February 8, 2012 at 3:03 PM)

I really like this. I guess that's one good thing about grief--we find comfort in peace in unusual places.

So sorry they took them down! Aren't you glad you snapped the photos when you did and posted them? Now those Christmas lights will be on forever.

S. Etole  – (February 8, 2012 at 4:13 PM)

A friend of mine still has her tree up just because she loves the lights.  I'm enjoying your 29 Days of Quiet.

Nancy Franson  – (February 8, 2012 at 5:30 PM)

Well, you know me. I need a little bit of Christmas around me all year long. I haven't taken my outside lights down yet, but I haven't been lighting them. Except last week we had guests over for dinner, and I thought they would look pretty lit up, draped over the railing on my deck. Sometimes, you just need a little more light.

Lori  – (February 8, 2012 at 7:47 PM)

Sometimes it just seems right doesn't it. A bit unconventional, but okay! Enjoy your blog so....Lori

Janmacy –   – (February 8, 2012 at 8:18 PM)

I'm so glad you were comforted by the lights.  When I see lights still up, I have always wondered what the story is behind the lights.

Even as a child I would wonder.  Probably partially based on stories from my parents (my Dad in WWII) regarding families who left them up until their loved one came home.

As a nurse, I've known families leave them up until their sick family member returned home.

I love stories.  I always imagine there is a story in it.

Ewynnemarshall –   – (February 8, 2012 at 9:28 PM)

Hey Michelle, your post today was so calming and peaceful. Discovered your blog from my friend Shelly at Redemptions Beauty. I'm going to follow your posts. Look forward to your photography. I'm over at wynnegraceappears.wordpress. Blessings, Elizabeth

Deidra  – (February 8, 2012 at 11:24 PM)

I'm with Mary...just so blessed by this series of yours. I see God here - more and more each day, even. It's so cool.

Our neighbors have red lights twinkling every night. I think they put them up especially for Valentine's Day. They didn't miss a beat, just took down the Christmas lights and put up red lights. I'm amazed by their decorating prowess (and maybe just a tiny bit perplexed.)