Love Starts with Duty

“I don't really feel like doing this," I whisper to my husband, Brad, as he pulls the mini-van into a parking space. The lot at the Center for People in Need is jammed with cars. The wind bites through our jackets as we scuttle toward the double doors of the warehouse.
Brad, our two boys and I have signed up to distribute food to the hundreds of people who will come through the line that night. But I don’t really want to be there. I’d rather be at home propped in front of HGTV with a glass of red wine and a box of Cheez-Its.
The only reason I’m about to volunteer a few hours of my time is that I feel obligated.
...will you join me over at the Lincoln Journal Star to read about my family's experience volunteering at a local food distribution center recently?
If you haven't done so already, would you kindly consider "liking" my Writer Facebook page by clicking here? Thank you! You can also  receive "Graceful" free in your email in-box or via the reader of your choice, by clicking here.

Mary Bonner  – (January 13, 2012 at 9:00 AM)

OK, dear friend...you have given me something to think about.  Great, thought provoking post, Michelle.  Thank you!

Gaby  – (January 13, 2012 at 9:34 AM)

I am with you 100%. I think that often feeling follows action and it is better to do something when you don't "feel" it than do nothing.

JosephPote –   – (January 13, 2012 at 10:03 AM)

Beautiful, Michelle!

As a wise counselor once told me, "Right actions lead to right feelings."

I might add that if it were always easy or always inspirational, then it would be less than true love.  Jesus made it clear that love is measured by sacrifice, and there is little sacrifice in only doing things when we feel inspired to do them.

The title of your post reminds me of a poem my grandmother used to quote...but I can't quite recall the words.  I'll have to ask my mother for them...

Lori  – (January 13, 2012 at 10:25 AM)

Oh Michelle, posts like this are  why I can honestly say I love you after not ever meeting you.......May you be blessed in the New Year! So glad I came by today. Love the new profile pic. Hugs, Lori

joan taylor –   – (January 13, 2012 at 1:14 PM)

I just love and appreciate your honesty, Michelle.  Also, your picture is beautiful...

Michelle DeRusha  – (January 13, 2012 at 2:07 PM)

Lori, Thank you for this comment. You made me smile today, and believe me, I needed to smile. Love you.

P.S. Looks like I have to figure out how to change my Disqus photo, too. That's the problem with changing out one picture...then you have to do them all!

Lori_Myevidentfaith –   – (January 13, 2012 at 10:11 PM)

Hi Michelle, I am in complete agreement. We DO have that social AND spiritual obligation to help others, whether or not we are excited about what we are going to do. (and I LOVE your hair and your new photo! Gorgeous!)

cherylsmith  – (January 13, 2012 at 10:35 PM)

Red wine and Cheezits? What have I been missing? I always thought red wine went with dark chocolate. ;)

cherylsmith  – (January 13, 2012 at 10:40 PM)

Ok, back now after reading the piece there, and I think you're right. Or at least your experience is akin to my own. Sometimes obligation gets me off my duff and once I'm there, something mystical happens. Even though I don't "feel" it, that doesn't preclude me from the call to serve.

One other thought: When I was in college considering a summer mission opportunity, I remember hearing someone say, "why shouldn't you go?" That was a shift for me. I was always looking for "a sign" to do something and this thought had never occurred to me. It might not always be the right question to ask, but it sure made sense at the time.

thefisherlady  – (January 15, 2012 at 12:48 AM)

what we do is best if we do it not unto man but as unto the Lord... I have much more pleasure serving when I realize that as I do it to one of the least of these... I have done it unto Him. He also multiplied the wine so that also has its place :) do enjoy!
blessings Michelle...

Pamelahuntcloyd –   – (January 15, 2012 at 8:42 PM)

I came to your blog after you left a comment on mine (walkingonmyhands) and I am so glad I did! What a beautiful blog and so honest and true. Thank you for writing! xoxo

Kim –   – (January 16, 2012 at 6:15 AM)

I agree with you. Obligation is often what gets me out of the door, even as I'm dragging my feet. But the blessings seem to show up despite me. Thanks for this beautiful post!