I'm a Slow Loris

I’m what you might call the slow loris of book publishing.

Are you familiar with the slow loris? I know it sounds like a Dr. Seuss character, but the slow loris is actually a real animal – a tiny primate with big, puppy-dog brown eyes and a round head (so far, nothing in common with me, in case you’re wondering). The slow loris is also described as a slow and deliberate climber.

Yup, that’s me: the slow, deliberate climber.

...I'm writing over at the WordServe Water Cooler today. Will you join me over there to read about what it's like to be a slow loris? {you may be one, too!}

mary kathryn –   – (January 25, 2012 at 7:00 AM)

I think many good writers are very slow -- so much so that many of our greatest literary works only find acclaim after the writers' deaths. Many slog away, year after year, writing only for their own eyes. It's taken me almost 10 years to finish this first book

Michelle DeRusha  – (January 25, 2012 at 7:20 AM)

Are you saying I may be dead by the time my book is published?! ;)  It sure feels that way some days, I must admit!

Congratulations to you, MK, on finishing your first book - that is a huge, huge milestone. Cheers to us on this slow loris writing journey - I'm right there with you, sister!

Julie Cragon –   – (January 25, 2012 at 7:24 AM)

The most difficult thing for me was to move on to the next "thing". I wanted to hear that "the one" was accepted until I moved on but I am learning to just keep writing something new. I am not even close to the writer you are so I know it will happen. I am merely a writing of prayers and short devotions. By the way, thank you for all the good information on writer's blogs and websites on your facebook page. They are very helpful to me. Continue, no matter the speed. Keep your seat and God Bless your hard work.

Julie Cragon –   – (January 25, 2012 at 7:26 AM)

That's writer of prayers...ugh!

Lisa Ditenhafer –   – (January 25, 2012 at 9:37 AM)

I am right there with you.  I probably have more incomplete blog post than I have published ones.

joan taylor –   – (January 25, 2012 at 3:24 PM)

Loved your post on the slow loris.  By the way, I am a slow and deliberate climber....

Michelle DeRusha  – (January 25, 2012 at 6:04 PM)

You are exactly right...I love the idea of closure on the first book before I leap into a second. But clearly I can't delay anymore - I need to get writing again. Thanks for the nudge, Julie. {and hey, don't sell your self short, my dear: writing prayers and devotions is VERY challenging work. I'm writing  Lent devotional booklet for my church right now, and it's kicking my butt!}

Michelle DeRusha  – (January 25, 2012 at 6:05 PM)

Let's climb slowly and deliberately together, Joan. You have inspired me so much these last few months -- thank you for that!!

Harriett –   – (January 26, 2012 at 7:36 AM)

If that's you, then you need a manicure and a pedicure -- wouldn't that be lovely? -- You and I could go down the street here to "Dang Nails" and  sit side by side in huge over-sized chairs and be worthless, and nobody would care about pace!

Some of the best writers waited decades for their books to be published -- I don't know where you fall, but I have to admit that if I were you, I would be crazy with the wait.

I'm crazy without the wait, btw.

I hope it all comes through for you soon -- but you know I think you should start another book. Write a children's book through the eyes of that son of yours who loves all things outdoors. You already have the photographs.

I'll shut up now.

Don't you love it when I come in and tell you what to do. Since, you know, I have so much experience with my own publishing.

That would be 0, Alex.